Cook Baker, WM-9976-9 (842)
USA Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels Worldwide
$32,802 per Year
Militart Sealift Command
6353 Center Drive, Building #8, Suite 202
Norfolk, VA 23502
Who May Apply:
Open to all qualified United States Citizens who are currently not employed with Military Sealift Command (MSC) as civil service mariner (CIVMAR) employees. Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
The Cook Baker is responsible for the timely preparation
and production of all bakery items. Incumbent is
responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance of the
bakeshop and associated areas and in the efficient
operation of the galley/kitchen. Incumbent shall assist
the Chief Cook and perform the following duties:
Prepare all bakery items in accordance with the daily
production sheet (NAVSUP 1090), utilizing the Armed
Forces Recipe Cards or locally approved recipes as
directed by supervisor(s).
Requisition and receive all bakery items needed for the
daily preparation of the bakery menu products and ensure
that all items are properly recorded and stored.
Carefully inspect all ingredients prior to use.
Ensure subsistence items, supplies and equipment are
maintained in a neat, orderly and sanitary manner.
Assist in the proper care of perishable leftovers;
wrapping, labeling and refrigerating all usable leftovers
and unused provisions.
Assist in the cleaning and upkeep of the Baking areas and
equipment; disposal of trash and garbage in accordance
with environmental regulations; and cleaning and
sanitizing garbage containers, lining them with plastic bags and covering when not in use.
Assist in taking inventory of galley/Baking equipment and
utensils; report to the Chief Cook any necessary repairs
and replacements of baking equipment and utensils; adhere
to all principles of safety; and report any accidents
Adhere to all sanitation procedures and personal hygiene
standards IAW NAVMED P-5010. Must be able to effectively
use applicable shipboard software applications. Ensure
continuing application of & compliance with EEO laws,
regulations and policies.
Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
Must be a United States Citizen of at least 18 years of
age and possess and maintain a valid:
1. U. S. Passport with a minimum of 7 months remaining
of expiration date,
2. United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s
Document (MMD), or Merchant Mariner Credential
(MMC), with a minimum of 10 months remaining of
expiration date with the following endorsement(s):
Ordinary Seaman, Wiper and Steward Department (FH).
3. Transportation Worker Identification Credential
(TWIC) card with a minimum of 10 months remaining of
Must have one year of specialized experience.
Specialized experience includes the preparation and
production of bakery items and assisting personnel in the
operation of the galley/kitchen. Related experience must
have been in at least one of the following:
1. Aboard a MSC vessel with completion of the
following two (2) courses: Basic Culinary or
Baking Methods and Techniques; and current
Serv-Safe Principles or annual 4 hour
2. Successfully held the position of a temporary
Cook Baker (Documented) for a cumulative period
of 12 months and current Serv-Safe Principles
or annual 4 hour sanitation training.
3. Previous Military experience in Culinary/Baking
(E-5 or above) and possess at least one of the
following; NEC 3525, NEC 3527, MOS 3381 or 92G
(AIT) and current Serv-Safe Principles or
annual 4 hour sanitation training.
4. Commercial experience and possess a
certification as a Working Pastry Chef or
higher from the American Culinary Federation
and current Serv-Safe Principles or annual 4
hour sanitation training.
5. Commercial sea time experience in Food Service
of not less than 5 years (Documented) with
baking experience of at least 1 year and
current Serv-Safe Principles or annual 4 hour
Applicants who meet the Minimum Eligibility Requirements
described above will be further evaluated. Documented
knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs), education,
training, and awards contained in the application package
and resume will be reviewed and rated to determine the
degree to which applicants possess the required KSAs
listed below that are essential to perform the duties and
responsibilities of the position for which applicants are
1. Skill in preparation of bakery products utilizing
approved recipes, guidelines and instructions.
2. Knowledge and ability to safely and proficiently
operate all equipment located in the Galley and food
3. Knowledge of food service sanitation and safety in the
prevention of food borne illness as associated with
4. Ability to requisition items for the daily preparation
of bakery products.
Related MSC, military, and/or commercial experience,
etc., will also be part of the rating process.
Conditions of Employment
1. CIVMAR positions are subject to drug urinalysis testing.
2. Able to obtain and maintain security clearance eligibility and assignment to a sensitive position.
3. Able to successfully pass the physical examinations (arranged by MSC) and maintain MSC medical requirements. Participate in vaccine immunization; including a tuberculosis (TB) screening test is also required. TB screening is not provided at the MSC-arranged medical examination, but can usually be obtained from your personal medical provider or free at any local Public Health Clinic. If you have previously had a positive TB skin test (i.e. a CONVERTER or REACTOR), another skin test is not required, but you must instead provide the Medical Department written proof that you have completed treatment with medicine (i.e. INH), or that you have started treatment with medicine, or that such treatment is not warranted as determined by competent medical authority.
4. Attend and successfully complete all mandatory training courses, including Personal Survival, which requires the ability to float in the water for a minimum of 60 seconds.
5. Be ready, willing, and able to physically perform the duty of this position worldwide at all times.
6. Be ready, willing, and able to work in shipboard environment conditions, and wear protective equipment worldwide at all times.
7. Entry-level positions require candidates to pass an English Language Competency Test.
8. Participate in direct deposit/electronic funds transfer as the standard method of payroll payments.
9. Capable of speaking, understanding, reading and writing the English language.
a. The tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to report to any of the scheduled appointments, fails the physical examination, fails the language competency test, fails drug test, fails to disclose employment information, fails to report to the New Employee Orientation, or is unable to obtain a security clearance.
b. In case by case bases, an applicant who accepts a tentative offer of employment will be required to provide a VA Rating Decisions and or Office of Worker’s Compensation Program (OWCP) Scheduled Awards.
How to Apply:
ALL documents MUST be POSTMARKED by the cut-off or closing date of this announcement. Only applications received during the announced timeframe will be considered. MSC is not responsible for obtaining documents to include in your package.
The following documents are required and are to be submitted in the following order:
1. A completed, signed and dated Optional Application for Federal Employment (OF-612) to include social security number, US Citizenship, veterans preference and previous federal employment. For forms visit www.sealiftcommand.com.
2. A completed, signed and dated Declaration of Federal Employment (OF-306), including Applicant’s Statement of Selective Service Registration Status, for forms visit www.sealiftcommand.com. For Selective Service information, visit www.sss.gov. If you answered yes to Questions 9 and/or 11; or have current or pending criminal charges and/or charges for any violation of law, court abstracts from the Clerk of Courts are required.
3. A current United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner’s Document (MMD), front and back or Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC), all pages and front and back copy of the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
4. A front and back copy of your current United States Coast Guard license, and/or STCW certificate with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date, if applicable.
5. A current U. S. Passport with a minimum of seven months remaining of expiration date.
6. A copy of professional certificates as applicable for this position.
7. If you are a current federal employee, you must include a copy of your most recent Notice of Personnel Action (SF-50).
8. If you are a prior federal government employee, you must include a copy of your separation Notice of Personnel Action (SF-50).
9. If you served in the U.S. Military Service, you must provide a copy of your Certificate of Discharge (DD214) that shows the type of discharge you received. This information is located under the “Character of Service” block of your DD214. If you are claiming 10 points or higher veteran's preference, you must provide supporting documentation such as, a completed Application for Preference (SF-15)
(http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf). Additional information on Veterans’ Preference is available at www.opm.gov/veterans. You will also be required to provide a copy of the VA Rating Decisions upon accepting the tentative offer of employment.
10. Resume. All resumes shall be one sided, type written in Courier New (12 pitch), and must show sufficient experience and/or education, knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties of the specific position for which applicants are being considered; and shall include the following information in its order:(See template):
(a) Full name.
(b) Relevant work experience within the last 5 years including paid and non paid public or private sector work experience related to the job for which applying.
(c) Colleges or universities name, city, and state (with zip code), major(s), type and year of any degree received (if no degree, show total credits earned and indicate whether semester or quarter hours).
11. Last 5 years of Performance Evaluations (if available) and training certificates applicable to the position you are applying to.
12. Job related honors, awards, and special accomplishments; for example, Military, Government or recognized professional organizations related to the maritime field and performance awards. Submit copies.
Failure to submit any required information to show that you meet the minimum qualifications as outlined in the JOA will result in the applicant being found ineligible.
Failure to provide a Resume as directed in the JOA will result in applicant being found ineligible.
All applications and supporting documents will become the property of MSC, and will not be returned to the applicant once submitted. Applicants are encouraged to make copies of all documentation prior to submission.
How To Contact Us:
Please send completed packages to:
Military Sealift Command
CIVMAR Support Center
6353 Center Drive, Building #8, Suite 202
Norfolk, VA 23502
If you have any questions, please email us at
email@example.com or call our toll free
Recruitment hotline at 1-877-JOBS-MSC (1-877-562-7672).
Please also visit our website at www.sealiftcommand.com.
NOTE: FAILURE TO PROVIDE REQUIRED INFORMATION REQUESTED FOR THIS POSITION WILL ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR ELIGIBILITY. Federal job applicants who make a false statement in any part of the application could be turned down for the job, fired after beginning work, or subject to fine,
imprisonment (U.S. Code, title 18, section 1001), or other disciplinary action. In accordance with section 9902(h) of title 5, United States Code, annuitants reemployed in the Department of Defense shall receive full annuity and salary upon appointment. They shall not be eligible for retirement contributions, participation in the Thrift Savings Plan, or a supplemental or re-determined annuity for the reemployment period. Discontinued service retirement annuitants (i.e. retired under section 8336(d)(1)or 8414(b)(1)(A) of title 5, United States Code) appointed to the Department of Defense may elect to be subject to retirement provisions of the new appointment as appropriate. (See DoD instruction 1400.25, Volume 300 at www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.).”
YOU MAY NOT BE HIRED IF YOU FAIL TO REPORT:
1. Previous Security Clearance Issues (intents to deny or the revocation of security clearances).
3. Previous felony convictions where actual time was served in jail for more than one year.
Any questions relative to this issue should be directed to the CIVMAR Support Center at 1-866-562-7672.
MILITARY SEALIFT COMMAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
All applicants meeting minimum qualifications will receive consideration without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, lawful political affiliation, non-disqualifying disability, marital
status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, other personal condition unrelated to the applicant’s basic ability to
perform satisfactory. Please visit http://www.msc.navy.mil/civmar/eeo.htm for more information. Determinations of whether an accommodation is appropriate shall be made by the agency as soon as
practicable, after the initial application process and shall be made with regard to all applicable statutes and regulations. If assistance is required to complete the application process, interested applicants should call our CIVMAR Support Center at the above number and refer to the “How to Apply” section of this announcement.